Dear Beautiful Daughters..
There are so many things that I hope to teach you and instill in you, in order to empower you to live your most fulfilled lives. These are some lessons I have learned along the way, some through great heartache and pain, and others through great mentors and teachers. As is always in motherhood, this journey is an imperfect one, but at the end of the day, the most important thing I hope you will remember, is how very loved you are. It is every parent’s hope to lead by example, but I know I fall short sometimes, so I am putting pen to paper, for when I do.
- Accept compliments by saying ‘thank you’. To reject a compliment is not only insulting to yourself, but to the compliment-giver.
- Never apologize for your talents; don’t play small to appease others.
- Don’t be afraid to raise your hand in class. Whether it’s because you know the answer or have a question; your voice is important.
- Go where the love is. Find people who lift you up, and accept nothing less from friendships.
- Always have your sister’s back. Family first; the end.
- Look people in the eye when you are talking or listening to them This is a beautiful part of human connection, and to look elsewhere is to miss out on an opportunity to relate.
- ‘No’, is a complete sentence.
- Forgive often. Holding on to a resentment is like taking poison, and expecting the other person to die.
- Treat everyone with the same kindness. You never know someone’s back-story, and you never know who you might be talking to. The person you piss off today could be signing your paychecks tomorrow.
- Never cut your own bangs.
- Don’t be afraid to be the first person on the dance floor. Life is too short not to dance.
- Be your own hype-girl. Always speak well of yourself–don’t put yourself down. You are your best advocate.
- When it comes to dressing yourself (when you get older), always leave something to the imagination.
- When it comes to makeup (when you get older), less is more.
- Another woman’s beauty /intelligence / talent can never take away from your own. Don’t compare, and never feel less-than because someone else is also beautiful / intelligent /talented.
- The most beautiful quality a woman can have, is confidence.
- You are the company you keep, so associate with people you respect and admire.
- Being kind will always be more important than being ‘cool’.
- Other people’s opinions of you, are none of your business. More important, is what you think of other people. Most important, is what you think of yourself.
- Make a daily gratitude list. No matter what is going on in life, you can always find 10 things to be grateful for.
- When it comes to romance, water seeks its own level. So does sewage.
- When speaking of others, ask yourself these 3 questions: ‘is it kind?’, ‘is it necessary?’, ‘is it true?’
- Trust your gut. That is your God-given GPS.
- When you are a guest, always ask the host(ess) if you can help with anything. Most of the time they will say ‘no’, but the gesture is always appreciated, (and you’ll probably be invited back).
- Always be unapologetically You. Own your opinions, beliefs and values no matter what.
*Did I miss some important ones? I’d love to hear how you would add to this list; your feedback is always welcome. Follow along on Instagram, where the conversation continues.9